Main purpose of job:
To lead work to significantly increase UK exports of goods and service to Brazil in the security and defence sectors.
Roles and responsibilities:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK government department charges with promoting and financing international trade and development, and championing free trade. In Brazil, DIT operations within the British Embassy in Brasília, and Consulates in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte and Recife, with a team of over 40 staff who work primarily through a number of sector specific export promotion campaigns.
This is a brilliant opportunity to lead one of the most important export campaigns for the British Government in Brazil. You will also lead efforts to ensure coordination and sharing of best practice across DIT defence and security campaigns in other parts of Latin America and the Caribbean. Your success in this position will primarily be measured on the value of exports you and your team assist British companies to achieve. Through your team, you will be responsible for managing an existing pipeline of commercial opportunities and researching and validating new prospects. This position will involve contact with ministers, high ranking military and law enforcement personnel and senior executives. To successfully lead your campaign, manage your team well and make a positive contribution to the diplomatic mission, you will need strong communication skills and a high level of emotional intelligence.
- To lead and develop a campaign to significantly increase UK exports of goods and services to Brazil in the defence and security sectors;
- To maintain a detailed understanding of the Brazilian defence and security sectors and identify relevant commercial opportunities and trends;
- To build strong personal relationships with key Brazilian companies, Ministries, senior military and public authorities and other customers to facilitate door opening for UK companies;
- To gain a strong understanding of UK capability and build a network of export-ready companies with the resilience needed for the Brazilian market;
- To offer and provide high quality advice to UK companies on how to access the Brazilian market;
- To produce reports on defence and security markets in line with the campaign strategy;
- To identify, plan and organise a select number of events that advance the campaign, eg. ministerial and senior official visits, key trade fairs or trade missions, working closely with colleagues in London and the Embassy;
- To brief the Ambassador, Director of Trade and Investment, Defence Attaché and others where necessary on security and defence exports issues;
- To collaborate with the leads of other export and investment campaigns based throughout Brazil, the Embassy’s Defence Section in Brasília and UK Government Defence and Security colleagues based in London and throughout Latin America;
- To lead renewed efforts to improve coordination and sharing of best practice across all DIT defence and security campaigns in Latin America and the Caribbean;
- To contribute to the wider objectives of the British Government’s Brazil network and support its positive working environment; and
To carry out other duties that may reasonably be required and which are in accordance with the grading and core competencies of the job.
- You will lead a team of three members of staff, directly managing the Business Development Manager (based in Brasília) and Assistant Sector Manager (based in Rio de Janeiro) and counter-signing the performance of an intern (currently managed by the assistant sector manager). You will also be expected to leverage the support of other members of the British diplomatic mission including, but not limited to, the Ambassador, the Defence Attaché, the Consul General in Rio de Janeiro and the Director of Trade and Investment based in São Paulo.
- You will manage a devolved travel and entertainment budget and specific budgets allocated to the delivery of campaign activity.
- Fluent Brazilian Portuguese and English (both written and spoken);
- Previous work experience in an international business environment;
- Previous experience of managing staff and budgets;
- Proven ability to form professional relationships and build trust with a wide range of contacts from different backgrounds including at senior levels;
- Excellent IT skills, including MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Previous work experience in the defence or security sectors;
- Degree/Masters or equivalent business qualification in a relevant Defence / Security / International Relations subject;
- Existing network within the Brazilian defence ministry / armed forces / security and policing environment;
- Fluent Spanish.
The British Diplomatic Mission to Brazil has a learning culture that encourages all of its staff to develop, including through paid-for formal training, mentoring, coaching, peer-learning and on the job experience. The successful candidate will undertake an induction visit to the UK to meet key contacts and carry out both a DIT induction and DIT Financial Services Organisation (FSO) training course.
- A full time contract constitutes 36 hours per week.
- The job holder will need to be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will be dictated by operational needs and may involve working out of hours.
We will consider candidates able to work from one of our diplomatic posts in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasília, Belo Horizonte or Recife.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online:
1. A covering letter (Please inlcude your motivation for applying for this role and how your experience and knowledge would fulfil our requirements).
2. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Para saber mais clique aqui