UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN System Coordination Division at UN Women Headquarters in New York seeks to enlist a full-time intern to support the work of the Division. The intern will inter alia assist with research, writing and meeting support related to gender mainstreaming and inter-agency coordination mechanisms in the UN System.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Inter-Agency Coordination Specialist, the intern will support the Division’s efforts to strengthen capacity for gender mainstreaming in the UN System. The intern will also support work related to UN interagency coordination mechanisms that include the Inter-agency Network on Women and Gender Equality (IANWGE), the UN System Chief Executives Board for Coordination (CEB) and the High-Level Committee on Programmes (HLCP), as necessary.
Activities will include the following:
- Provide substantive input into the preparation of knowledge products related to gender mainstreaming in various thematic areas;
- Liaise with UN entities to update the repository of resources and tools for capacity development on gender mainstreaming within the UN System;
- Contribute to talking points and briefing notes as necessary;
- Provide logistical and administrative support to meetings of IANWGE;
- Assist with preparation of inputs and preparatory documentation for biannual CEB and HLCP meetings;
- Assist with updates of the IANWGE website;
- Contribute to ad hoc requests, as needed.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement.
For more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies, click here.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in international relations, international development, gender studies, communications and/or political science;
- Preference will be given to candidates recently granted, or in the process of pursuing, a Master’s or advanced university degree programme.
- Familiarity with or prior UN experience would be an advantage. Candidates are expected to possess an understanding of the entities of the UN system, the UN’s governance, policies and mandates;
- Commitment, interest, and knowledge in the area of women’s rights and gender equality;
- Experience with developing and designing communications and knowledge products desirable;
- Excellent organizational, inter-personal, communication and administrative skills;
- Self-starter and team player who is able to work independently, with minimum supervision;
- Personal initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with colleagues of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Proven ability to balance multiple responsibilities and manage diverse and complex tasks within tight deadlines.
- Full computer literacy with MS Word, Excel, Power Point;
- Proficiency with online communication, including Skype, Cisco Webex, etc.
- Fluency in English is required.
Curtiu? Inscreva-se aqui.