Contract duration: Two years, first year probationary period.
: Sep 4, 2018, 2:39:17 PM
: Sep 25, 2018, 6:59:00 PM
: PAHO/WHO Representation, Brazil
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
PAHO Country Offices are responsible for ensuring that the Pan American Health Organization / World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) country program of technical cooperation and its country presence provides adequate support to the national health development process and, at the same time, enables countries to shape the sub regional, regional, and global health agendas. The PAHO/WHO Country Office is the basic organizational unit for technical cooperation with the country/ies, drawing on PAHO/WHO resources from all levels and all parts of the Organization.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the PAHO/WHO Representative and the technical guidance of the Director of Communications (CMU), the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Collaborate in the proposal and development of communication strategies for the strengthening of access and dissemination of technical and scientific information in the country, in accordance with technical cooperation priorities; promote knowledge sharing initiatives aimed at improving demand for and easy access to technical-scientific knowledge on health by the general public;
- Provide support and guidance to health authorities in the development of communication strategies on health promotion and protection at national level; provide training in communication for health that stimulate healthy behaviors aimed at reducing risk as part of risk reduction strategies, including communication on crises and emergencies;
- Collaborate in the identification and establishment of partnerships with governmental and non-governmental organizations for the promotion of information dissemination services;
- Provide support to national authorities for the preparation of key messages to protect health during natural disasters and other emergencies;
- Collaborate with the Ministry of Health and local authorities, in the development of campaigns, including the production of contextualized communication materials and tools for health promotion and protection;
- Collaborate and provide technical support to the PWR and technical staff to assess and address communication needs and opportunities, and develop strategies, using both a social communication approach to help advance the Organization’s strategic objectives and a public relations approach to stimulate greater interest in and awareness of the Organization and its work in the Country;
- Elaborate, implement and monitor the Representation’s communications plan and public health campaigns as needed; provide guidance on target audiences, editorial product selection, and media channels for dissemination;
- Prepare, and edit press releases, web news, features, fact sheets, talking points and Q&A. Prepare periodic bulletins and update communication written materials as needed. Manage social media accounts, upload content to the local website, organize press conferences and write/edit opinion pieces and articles aimed at disseminating the work of the Organization;
- Promote internal and external contacts for the Organization with targeted grassroots, nongovernmental and international organizations, private companies, decision-makers at all levels, members of donor and academic communities, and the mass media, to build a positive image for the Organization and inspire a higher level of respect and support for its activities and achievements;
- Manage media inquiries by arranging interviews, researching specific issues, and contacting technical staff; coordinate with management on sensitive issues; collaborate with management and technical officers on media relations and promotion of their activities to external audiences using a public relations approach. Monitor the press/media and elaborate distribution lists of journalists and strategic partners;
- Liaise with the communications/press office of the Ministry of Health and other relevant government offices as well as with United Nations agencies with regard to joint strategies, activities and products;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, media studies, digital media communication, advertising, or a related field from a recognized university.
Desirable: Training in public health would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Three years of work experience in social media network development, communication, journalism, or a related field.
Desirable: Experience working in health promotion would be an asset.
- Intrainstitutional Action: Displays, through behavior, understanding of PAHO’s values and mission. Seeks information on and acts with understanding of the Organization’s expectations while advancing further the understanding and application of its policies. Shows interest and concern for the activities related to his/her work in conjunction with the mission, values, vision and policies of the organization. Behaves consistently in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Organization.
- Analysis, Synthesis and Forecasting: Objectively analyzes situations and, based on evidence and knowledge, suggests actions to improve implementation. Bases one’s actions on available information, applies knowledge acquired from experience. Prioritizes the information according to one’s needs or the Organization’s. Is capable of anticipating the implications of analyzed situations between one to six months ahead.
- Communication: Establishes and proactively engages in productive dialogues in one’s work inside and outside the Organization, and assists in the building of consensus. Seeks to share information with others within the organization, both face to face and through communication and information technology systems as appropriate.
- Teamwork: Encourages team members, adds significant contribution when participating in internal and external work teams, and leads through personal example the virtues of team success–collaboration, trust, transparency and joint responsibilities. Builds and maintains mutually beneficial productive interpersonal relations based on trust, inside and outside the Organization. Keeps every team member informed as well as shares relevant and useful information.
- Information Management: Verifies that relevant information is obtained, processed, selected, and disseminated in area of work. Acquires the training to utilize technologies for processing information relative to the area of work in a logical and organized manner, which facilitates the dissemination of information, resulting in information that is consistent, valid and accurate. Keeps abreast of latest technologies for processing the information relevant to the area of work, and weighs its advantages/disadvantages.
- Knowledge Management: Seeks and proposes better resources to access, process, use and share information with a variety of actors in different environments. Produces and participates in studies as well as research that meet the publication requirements of media accepted by the scientific community.
- Service Orientation: Follows through on the client inquiries, requests and complaints. Keeps client up-to-date about progress of projects. Monitors client satisfaction.
- External Action: Identifies with external institutions in areas of common interests to promote joint efforts and mutually beneficial goals.
- Thorough knowledge of and proven ability in communications, media, public relations and journalistic writing.
- Technical knowledge of tools and techniques used to design, maintain and manage social media networks; proven ability to develop and integrate content into websites and blogs; theoretical and practical knowledge of mobile technologies.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills with demonstrated experience in content production.
- Training or experience in risk communication, crisis communications and/or behavior change communications.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills; ability to prioritize and multitask when required.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization; ability to present in a clear and concise, diplomatic, tactful, and courteous manner.
Very good knowledge of Portuguese with a working knowledge of English.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Knowledge and experience in the use of Joomla Content Management System, Acajom-Mailchimp, Facebook, Twitter, Hootsuite, Action Sprout, YouTube and Flickr would be an asset.
Gostou? Inscreva-se aqui.